Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tanner Bradley Hobson

SURPRISE! We had our baby! Tanner Bradley Hobson was born on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 at 2:11 p.m. He weighed 4 lbs 1 oz and was 17 1/2 inches long. I know that seems pretty small, but it's actually a pretty good size for being 2 months early. Yup, he was a BIG surprise!



I had the flu that weekend and on Sunday morning (Father's Day) I started having contractions. I called Labor and Delivery several times both Sunday and Monday and they told me that I was probably dehydrated and that I should lie down and drink a lot of water. I decided I could hold off going in until my doctors appointment on Tuesday morning. When I arrived, I went straight to Labor and Delivery where they immediately started monitoring me. During each contraction, the baby's heart rate would drop and before I knew it, I had several doctors and nurses in my room. They started putting in an IV, doing an ultrasound and preparing to take me into the OR. It turns out I was already dialated to an 8! Aaron was next door at Costco feeding the kids lunch so I had to call our friend Ally to see if she could come take the kids so Aaron could join me during the delivery. Thank goodness for wonderful friends! She was there in no time and Aaron made it over in time to give me a blessing. It all happened so fast. I ended up having to have another C-Section, but this time under general anesthetic. I was NOT excited about having to be put under, but it was definitely the best thing for the baby. I was so happy to wake up and have Aaron, Stacey and my kids right there beside me. Stacey says I said a lot of crazy things, but I must have still been out, because I don't remember any of it!



Tanner is doing really well for being born so early. He was on oxygen for a couple of days, but is breathing room air now. He still has some apnea (he forgets to breathe) but the nurses say that is so common with preemies, and for the last few days he has been able to recover on his own without any stimulation. His feedings are up and the nurses are fortifying his milk with 24 calorie packs to fatten him up. He is being well taken care of at the Intermountain Medical Center NICU. He is such a good baby and we can't wait to have him come home! We're not sure when exactly that will be, but we are still really excited.



I want to apologize to all my friends and family who just recently found out or didn't even know I was pregnant. I'm so sorry! I thought I still had time to spread the good news!

8 comments:

Robert, Jeana, and Brooke said...

What a beautiful baby boy. We are so happy that Tanner (it is great to know his name and I LOVE that name) is healthy and that mom is well. When I saw you on Monday at the softball game you looked amazing! Congrats and we love you guys!

camille said...

So glad you posted pictures of the little cutie. I'm so sad I didn't get to see him at the hospital. Maybe before I leave I can sneak in a visit.

AND - seeing his name written confirms you chose well! I love it!

Julianne said...

Congrats, Missy and Aaron! He really is such a pretty baby. Glad things went well for you, Missy, as well as they could, and glad that Baby tanner is doing well too. Hopefully his apnea subsides soon...

He's a dollie!

Rane said...

HOLY COW...i had NO idea you were expecting?? Congrats. I'm so glad that things went well. I would love to come see you when your feeling up to visitors. I'm glad you posted pictures. He's so sweet. he looks like he'll be very tall. :)

Merianne said...

Miss, he's a beautiful baby. I'm so glad that everything is working out alright and that everybody is healthy. You're a trooper!

Ally said...

Hooray for a healthy, early baby! We are so happy for your family!

K. Lou said...

Congratulations! We are praying for you and your new little guy. he is so cute. hang in there!

Jaime said...

Melissa! I was one of the ones who did not even know you were pregnant, let alone already had your baby! I am so happy for you guys. How is he doing?